studiolifeline

Saturday, October 29, 2011

New colors on new series

When this Summer ended I felt better and somewhat elated, as if just this one word SUMMER was hanging on my neck as some sort of  weight of something long gone and not anymore needed. Air was coming through a window and although the window still is on the first floor with wire barns on the street it was fresh and crisp. I don't know why.

I unpacked my deadandstreight.com stretchers that have been waiting for me since at least July, stretched canvases and primed them all in one day with at least two coats each.

I quickly started 4 new paintings. Something was wrong with the most of them. It will take me a few weeks to understand. Though they looked new and different from each other something in them was repeating itself making it impossible. All of them have been very blue.

Realizing that some two weeks later I came back to my blues and started working on them again. Consciously avoiding blues all together. I discovered that the reason my work often look so bright is because I mostly use primary colors only. Blue is the only one (except white) that I allow myself to use as an extra color; all kinds of it.

New pallet of greens and browns came out and like in my struggle with darkness long while ago black line helped tremendously. 

Untangle Sails oil on canvas 26x24"


Dark Night
He and Eyes
Soon
Friday Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment