studiolifeline

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Russian RED in my art

 Red always played a very important role in my work. Red was not just present, but so defined that it was making statements, telling stories and answering questions. Because of the strong contrast it appeared in my than dark and later even  darker work as an opinionated visitor :

"Do not look back", 60x30", 2008

Turn Right!, 40x30", oil on canvas, 2009
and later on as a main character, being a horse, a blanket, a bucket of blood, a flower. I wondered... why. After all, I was a Pioneer through middle school and had my very own red "tie". I am a part of the Russian-Soviet History.

Red is a prominent color in Russian culture and history.

Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin, Bathing of a red Horse
The Russian word for red, krasni, was, in the past, also used to describe something beautiful. Today, krasni is used to indicate something that is red in color, while krasivi is the modern Russian word for “beautiful.” However, many important sites and cultural artifacts still reflect the combined usage of the word, and a name that incorporates this root may still be considered something elevated in status. In fact, the Russian word for excellent - prekrasni - shares the root kras with these other words. Gradually and subconsciously through centuries, red became the leading color of the Russian and later the Soviet people, carrying profound and enormous meaning. Its energy and intensity imply great strength and passion. It seems to destroy all optical calm, "burning".

 
Burning Stretch, 40x30", 1997




Red is a color of fire and blood, heat and life. Enigmatic for all its apparent openness, the color red creates a dramatic effect in any picture, adding an air of special gravity.



Since 2010 "red paintings" in which Red is not a visitor, not a character, not an object, but rather a whole space of "being" started happening in my studio.
Dedication, 68x72", 2010

Yesterday I finished another "red" piece:

"Hold Still", oil on canvas, 44x33", 2011





 and red seems to be my emotional charge. Red Caviar still is my favorite and my first love date happened on a Red Square. Lets just think that this is "prekrasno". 

Another color that dominates in my work and often competes with Red is Blue. Blue - a color of water, air, sky and most importantly -  Blue Star.










No comments:

Post a Comment