studiolifeline

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What is beauty for me?

Once upon a time, drinking strong Russian tea  I stated that "my art is a mixture of autobiography, symbolism and philosophy". My intense relationship with these three words, autobiography, symbolism and philosophy became a spine of my  image-making process. This definition is a "cats cradle"- one thought connects to another, becomes confusing  and needs an immediate transformation, re-interpretation and later - disconnection. Once taken off the fingers the cradle can  transform into one thick and straight line of thought.  One of the isms my personal iconography, self-stylization and my approach to everyday life is a category of Romantics .... with a psychological twist.With the help of grace, inspiration and self-assurance  I create new, personal iconography the indispensable element of which is the connection between life and art -  my life and my art.

 Romanticism creates and cultivates a new repertoire of images, characters and places they live in. However, there is a crucial paradox in Romantic image making: It is a self-conscious process and it is the image of personality, private character that sets up a mechanism that sets it in motion. In the 70's Philip Guston stated that his work is "image ridden".
  I still want to believe in strength and truth of purity, beauty and freedom.

purity = autobiography
simbolism = symbolism
freedom = philosophy

Of course beauty is relevant. But just believing in it makes all the difference in the world.

Here are a few images that from my point are pure, symbolic and free = beautiful.


Still from movie Stalker by Andrei Tarkovski, Russia, 1970's
Full Moon on Friday night photographed from Brooklyn Bridge



 
Fra Abgelico The Saint, XIV century



 
Monk by the Sea, Caspar David Friedrich


Black Square, Kasimir Malevich, 1915





No comments:

Post a Comment